Wednesday 29 August 2012

The AP experiment!


Agent Provocateur has a reputation for being the ultimate luxury lingerie brand. Their iconic gift boxes are instantly recognisable, the assistant uniforms are highly sought after, and their window displays are the stuff of legend. 

Over the years, celebrity endorsements, as well as name checks in films, books, and songs, have cemented Agent Provocateur's status as a brand to be desired. 

Of course, part of the romanticism is the sheer expense of the stuff. The unattainable element only serves to make the brand all the more attractive. 

Their Autumn/Winter 2012 collection contains a lovely few 'bondage' inspired pieces in the Whitney range. Gorgeous!




However, with it coming to a total of £305 for the set, I decided to see if I could make a version of this myself. I don't own a mannequin or sewing machine so this is measured on myself, and handsewn.

I bought several metres of black elastic, along with suspender clips and adjusters. You can get these from Ebay or a good haberdashery.






Elastic is great as the stretchiness gives you lots of leeway for sizing (it's always best to err on the small side), and it doesn't fray in the way ribbon does, so you can cut it down the middle for smaller strips.

Starting with a plain black bra, I added wider strips in a cross shape across the bra straps, and three half-size strips from the centre between the cups out. 

For the suspender belt I measured the 'belt' part around myself and sewed into place. I then added four long straps an equal distance apart for the suspender straps. This gives the basic shape of a suspender belt. I then added four strips half the length of the suspender straps in an equal distance between the suspender straps.

The detail was added in sewing an 'X' across the two front suspender straps, and again at the back. I then threaded the straps through the suspender clips and sewed a loop to keep them in place.

Here's the finished result:





It's not perfect but considering it's my first attempt I'm really rather happy with it!

Black bra: £6
Garter clips: £1.40
Garter adjusters: £1.50
5 Metres elastic: £1.94

Total cost: £10.84



1 comment: